Arles marked out a path to follow Vincent Van Gogh's footsteps.
During his stay in Arles between February 1888 and May 1889, Vincent Van Gogh made about 300 drawings and paintings. In the city, you will find boards that symbolize where Vincent van Gogh set up his easel. A dozen locations have been identified :
- place of the Forum for coffee in the evening,
- the Trinquetaille bridge corresponds to the Trinquetaille bridge staircase,
- the Quai du Rhône at La Nuit Micheline, Place Lamartine at La Maison Jaune,
- rue Mireille au (Le) vieux moulin,
- the Boulevard des Lices garden at (Le) public garden,
- the Van-Gogh space in the (Le) garden of the health centre,
- the road along the canal from Arles to Bouc at the Pont de Langlois aux lavandières, more commonly known as Pont Van Gogh , (*outside the city centre)
- the Quai du Rhône. The starry night,
- Lamartine Square. Yellow House,
- the arenas and the Alycamps were also immortalised in several canvases.
The banks of the Rhône
Arles and the Rhône, a story of love and distrust for Arlesians according to the water's moods...
In the 19th century, on the river banks, the commercial activity is still important. Van Gogh criss-crosses the city and its surroundings. He relentlessly paints the transformations of nature and landscapes season after season as well as fields workers and peasants. Everything he sees inspires him and becomes a canvas. He often struggles with the sun and the wind...
The Van Gogh pedestrian circuit
Description in a document for sale at the Tourist Office of a marked pedestrian route, to be travelled at its own pace.Download the document in PDF format
Vincent Van Gogh Foundation
The Vincent van Gogh Arles Foundation pays a fair tribute to his work while exploring its impact in contemporary creation. During temporary exhibitions, you will see how Vincent van Gogh continues to influence modern artists. The Foundation exhibits each year between 1 to 10 artworks from Van Gogh which have been lent by museums and private art collectors from around the world.